Sustaining Energy and Joy as the Days Darken
Over the next few weeks we’ll take a deeper look at each of the five natural elements (wood, fire, water, earth, and metal) our tonics are based on, and how incorporating them into your routine can help you maintain balance in life. Each of us have a natural inclination toward one of these five natural elements — if you haven’t yet taken our quiz, now is the time to find your element! This week we’re taking a closer look at BLOOM Awakening Plant Tonic.
In the northern hemisphere, we’re at that tricky time of year: The days are getting shorter, summer feels far away, and holidays aren’t quite here yet. For many of us, seasonal affective disorder (called SAD for short — no, seriously 😅) is not unfamiliar. In fact, it’s quite common, with over 3 million cases a year in the US (so you’re definitely not alone!).
Some signs and symptoms of SAD may be:
- Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
- Having low energy
- Having problems with sleeping
- Feeling sluggish or agitated
- Having difficulty concentrating
The good news (and there’s always good news!) is that it doesn’t last forever, and there are many ways you can care for yourself to balance out these feelings. As with any mental health concern, reach out to a friend or mental health practitioner if you are struggling.
In classical oriental medicine, keeping the five natural elements in balance is essential to feeling your best. Having too much or too little of any certain element will throw your system out of tune. The Wood element is all about renewal; it’s about allowing space for growth and development in preparation for life ahead. When we’re feeling low at this time of year, tapping into the rebirth of energy and vitality can be life-changing!
So, how do we bring healthy habits and self-care into our routine during the fall and winter? With colder temperatures, it’s sometimes hard to get outside, but that’s one of the most important things you can do!
- Take a brisk walk in fresh air to get your blood circulating, your neurons firing, and your mood elevating. It will help with those sluggish feelings and sleeping trouble.
- Incorporate some gentle stretching in your day to strengthen muscle and relieve tension held in the body.
- Using your imagination will stimulate creativity and move stagnant energy. Try visualizing, drawing, or writing out some future dreams or fun adventures you’d like to manifest for the year ahead.
- Look up healthy recipes and enjoy the process of cooking something new and delicious. Not only will you nourish your body and mind, but your focus will be taken away from feeling low.
When we feel energized and alert, we feel like we can do anything. With your Wood element in balance, you will feel clear and focused. Our BLOOM Awakening Plant Tonic was designed with this exact goal in mind. Our only tonic with caffeine (a low dose at 40mg per serving), it kickstarts your day and your mood with a burst of energy. Its tart and tasty flavor gets your circulation moving, putting a little pep in your step. Cherry and goji berry, both adaptogenic superfoods, will bring renewed energy into your day. Apple and lemon aid in hydration and digestion, essential elements in keeping a positive outlook. And you’ll find the bright cheeriness of our packaging, the tastiness of our product, and knowing that there’s a team of us rooting for you…all the more uplifting!
BLOOM Awakening Plant Tonic KEY INGREDIENTS
Cherry and Goji Berry | energizing and then some
Apple | your foundation for hydration
Lemon | digestion’s tart little friend
Jujube Date | a wake up call for your Qi
Ginger | helps get your circulation circulating
Licorice Root | leading the way to inner balance
Green Tea | puts a little pep in your step